Legal Practitioner – Associate Director
Dip Law (Sydney Uni), ATIA
Scott is admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia. He is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales and is an Associate of the Taxation Institute of Australia.
Prior to forging a career in law Scott established himself in the corporate sector as the General Manager of one of Sydney’s busiest and well-known hotels. This background enables him to strengthen his skill set as a lawyer by providing pragmatic solutions to client’s problems. As a result, his clients are primarily corporations and high net worth individuals.
Scott’s main practice is focused on tax controversy issues where there are disputes with the Australian Taxation Office. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Tax offences leading to prosecution
- Failure to lodge offences
- Resisting winding up orders pursuant to a tax debt
- Dealing with offshore structures (including tax havens)
- Voluntary disclosures of offshore income
- Tax audits and objections
- Tax residency issues
- Objections to audits
- Appeals to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Debt negotiation with the ATO
- International transfers
- Double tax agreements
The mainstay of Scott’s practice is his ability to defend clients robustly in court when it is required or to skillfully negotiate and settle a practical outcome if that produces the best possible result for the client. His established contacts at the ATO enable him access to options that would otherwise be unavailable.