Legal Practitioner – Associate Director
B.A., LL.M. (Syd) Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation (NSW)
Darrell first practised law as an in-house solicitor as part of a major Australian insurer’s general insurance legal team. He then moved into private practice and focused mainly on commercial litigation for almost 20 years. During this period he ran his own law firm for several years. He joined CharterLaw in July 2018 as a senior litigator.
The substantial bulk of his litigation work has been in the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria and also in the Federal courts, as well as the High Court of Australia. Darrell is an adjunct (part-time) lecturer in the specialist LLM (Masters of Law) programme in Commercial Litigation at the College of Law and has been since 2013. He was previously the Practitioner Education Programme Manager – Commercial Litigation at the College of Law.
Darrell has bachelor degrees in Arts and Law and a Masters degrees in Law. He has been a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales since 2002, the Supreme Court of Queensland since 2003 and the High Court of Australia since 2004. He is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales and was, for many years, a member of the Queensland Law Society. Darrell was accredited by the Queensland Law Society as a specialist in commercial litigation from 2010 to 2019 and obtained that qualification from the Law Society of New South Wales in 2018. Darrell is a member of the Specialist Accreditation Commercial Litigation Advisory Committee of the New South Wales Law Society which examines legal practitioners who wish to become Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation in New South Wales.
Darrell has been asked to present and run seminars on many commercial litigation and insolvency related topics over the years for other legal practitioners, insolvency practitioners, professional associations and trade organisations.
Darrell has assisted many clients, mainly businesses and high net worth individuals, in a very wide range of commercial disputes and solvency and reconstruction situations by developing strategies and drawing upon a network of professionals of various disciplines to obtain the best possible outcomes.
Darrell’s experience includes:·
- disputes involving businesses, including disputes between directors, disputes between shareholders and disputes involving complex corporate law or trust situations;
- disputes between business owners who are themselves professional advisers;
- situations involving misleading and deceptive conduct;
- disputes concerning interpretation or performance relating to contractual obligations;
- situations where businesses or individuals are insolvent, near insolvency or have serious questions concerning solvency;
- allegations of negligence against professional advisors;
- breaches of intellectual property or trade restraints;
- disputes concerning property including disputes between property developers and with government; and
- building and construction disputes, including in a foreign jurisdiction.